Labels

Sunday, February 16, 2020

2/16/2020 Sunday of the Prodigal Son

This is the Lord’s day - Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Today began a little differently getting up and going to the Church of the Forefathers in Beit Sahour. I arrived just after the Gospel at Matins and was blessed enter the church as the Priest (Hannah) was holding the Gospel for veneration in the middle of the church. I felt like I was being received as a blessed child of God which indeed we all are.

Abuna Saba took great care of me and they both blessed me to receive the Blessed Body and Blood. This was a great joy it being my second time at the parish and surrounded by so many that have passed through Saint George in Flint. It felt like I was at home.

After liturgy I was invited to join the parish council president Sahar Rishmawi, a group of about 15 Anglicans from England, and several others, for wine, coffee, sweets and a dialogue about the church and orthodoxy. It was the fourth visit to the parish by the Anglicans who keep coming back as a sign of solidarity with the Palestinian Christians.

I then joined up with a 28 others from my pilgrimage at the Lutheran church of the nativity in Bethlehem where I was able to experience the better part of their service, along with coffee afterwards.

Following lunch we continued our pilgrimage first with a wonderful walk through the old city of Bethlehem, then visiting the Nativity Church and finally Shepherds Field (Roman Catholic site).

Another interesting resting encounter was with Daher Nassar at the Lutheran Church - interesting because for some reason I had read about him and his farm many weeks ago before coming on pilgrimage. Those of you interested in the Palestinian situation will find his story at the link with his name and here (Tent of Nations) quite interesting.

Today was filled by a great warmth from all who live here, a message of reconciliation nowhere more strongly given to us other than by the Nativity of Our Lord

Today was filled with the Christ Child and His message of reconciliation.

Intending this to be a light day we returned back to the hotel for some rest, and with plans for dinner at a restaurant at 6:30 with our guide (Husam) and his family.

Pictures:

Bethlehem at dawn

Beit Sahour Parish Council greeting Anglicans and me

Group picture

Lutheran Church

Walking the old city

Church of the nativity

Church of the nativity

The nativity grotto

Shepherds field

Shepherds field



No comments:

Post a Comment