Labels

Sunday, February 23, 2020

2/23/2020 Last day in Bethlehem - A Walk to The Nativity Church and The Milk Grotto

Did not realize how tired I was - I slept in late and did not attend Liturgy ... kind of an anonymous day ...

After breakfast and feeling a bit recovered I set out to explore a bit of Bethlehem, desiring especially to go to the Milk Grotto.

In various places it is said that this is where the holy family stopped while en-route to Egypt and that this is the cave they lived in for quite some time before leaving for Egypt (perhaps even where the Magi visited). The grotto is a very short distance from the Nativity Grotto. Here is another link.

The fine white powder from the grotto (this will make sense if you read the items at the links) is said to have helped many infertile couples conceive and also to have effected miraculous cures of other diseases. 

My desire was to bring some back with me and as always God provides. After wandering around a very empty church structure with only a few minutes before they closed I bumped into a Franciscan who graciously provided me with a few packets which can be obtained only if you visit the grotto.

Pictures from my stroll of a few miles (streets were very quiet).


Walking the Old City of Bethlehem







A quick stop at the Nativity Church

The Franciscan Church at the Milk Grotto

The white walls of the Milk Grotto





No comments:

Post a Comment